Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The lidscrub wars

Heh, this came out more than a week ago. I don't know where I was (scrubbing my lids, maybe) but I'm sorry I missed the excitement.

Advanced Vision Research to discontinue controversial claim

CYNACON / OCuSOFT (OCuSOFT, Inc.)... is pleased to announce that Advanced Vision Research (AVR), has decided to discontinue the claim that “lid scrubs don’t kill anything”.... OCuSOFT® Lid Scrub PLUS Extra Strength (ES) does, in fact, kill bacteria. In two separate independent laboratory studies OCuSOFT® Lid Scrub PLUS ES showed significant antibacterial efficacy, in many cases > 99% kill rate. Those organisms included: S. aureus, S. epidermidis, E. coli, P. aeruginosa, M. catarrhalis, S. marcescens as well as methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA).


That whirring sound in the background must be from the backpedaling. Guess we, uh, got a little overenthusiastic with the Sterilid marketing, eh boys?

It will be interesting to see how the lidscrub wars play out in the medical studies, especially if we ever see any truly independent studies comparing them. For patient-friendly lidscrub products I know who my money's on, though, and I don't think it's based in Beantown.

No comments: