Monday, July 23, 2007

New patent application: Good news for MGD sufferers?

I was pleased to see this patent application which someone dug up and posted on Dry Eye Talk:

Melting meibomian gland obstructions

Consistent with certain embodiments, an apparatus provides regulated heat to at least one of a patient's eyelids, using a heater unit having a heating element that produces heat that is transferred to the patient's eyelid when an electrical signal is applied thereto. A temperature regulator applies an electrical signal to the heating elements in order to achieve heating of the heating elements to a specified temperature range. This abstract is not to be considered limiting, since other embodiments may deviate from the features described in this abstract.


I had heard that there are some heat treatments for MGD in the works, this presumably one of them. Developments like this are heartening news for chronic dry eye patients and their doctors, and certainly for me. When I first came across the EyeFeel device sold in Dr. Tseng's practice in Miami, I tried to get the manufacturer to let me import it for commercial sale. I believed then, as now, that if there were an FDA approved medical device like that specifically sold for treatment of MGD, it would be a huge step forward in terms of raising interest and awareness among doctors, not to mention improving compliance amongst patients. Alas, nothing came of it. So life goes on and I continue peddling my humble Rice Baggy, and teaching people to make homemade versions.

After being chronically overlooked and undertreated for so long, is diagnosis and treatment of meibomian gland dysfunction at last going to get some attention?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.