Friday, October 26, 2007

Newsblurb: Canine dry eye

Just for a change of pace, I thought I'd post about a veterinary Q&A on canine dry eye that caught my eye. Kind of eye-opening, because doctors are apparently rather more blunt about prognosis and treatments when they're talking about your pooch than about you:

Dog's eye requires lubrication
(Detroit News, Oct 13 2007)

The problem with KCS in younger dogs is that it is more likely to be a case of abnormal or lack of development of the lacrimal gland. Clinical signs may vary considerably between dogs, but typically include ocular discharge, a dull-appearing corneal surface, red eye and failure to open the eye. Corneal changes may include ulceration, vascularization, pigmentation and scarring...
...You will most likely be treating this condition for the rest of the dog's life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rebecca, I have a new blog dedicated to my dogs, and the first article I posted is about my 11 year old Lab with severe, chronic dry eye.

You might find it interesting...