Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Newsblurb: IPL for MGD

Dr. Toyos presented an update on using dermatological treatments in an attempt to improve meibomian gland function. For those not familiar with intense pulsed light, it's been used in rosacea treatment for quite some time, but here, OSN is reporting on a study Dr. Toyos presented in Italy about IPL and broadband light for treating meibomian glands.

OSN Supersite, 5/19/2008
Dermatological treatment may have application as dry eye therapy

Patients receive treatment in four selected facial areas. Tear break-up time and Schirmer's tests are performed during the first visit to establish baseline values before first treatment, before all subsequent treatments, and at 1, 3 and 6 months after completion of the treatment to assess the efficacy on dry eye symptoms. An average of four to five monthly treatments are usually necessary to achieve stable results, he said.

"In our patients, we found an average increase of [tear break-up time] of 47% and 33% with [intense pulse light] and [broadband light], respectively, and an increase of 60% with [intense pulse light] and 84% with [broadband light] for Schirmer's test," Dr. Toyos said.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been condsidering getting IPL for my rosacea. I was diagnosed with ocular and facial rosacea in Feb of 2008 and have suffered with mgd and dry eye as a result. I am starting to get a little relief with alot of work with doxy, lid hygiene, drops and omega-3's. It has taken me quite a long time to even get the help I needed from a good opthamalogist. It took me the average 5 doctors to get the help i needed. This disease has been very stressful on me and my family as at times it has rendered me incapacitated. I am glad I found your website and signed up to get information. You have the best website on the web and belief me I have researched every one of them to find information. I have read several small articles or even just lines in articles that mention IPL helping with ocular rosacea. This is the only one I have read that gave acutal numbers. Thanks I am going to check into this a little more before I take the plunge. Never giving up to I help find a cure for dry eye of all kinds.

Anonymous said...

I had IPL treatment on my face for rosacea 3 1/2 years ago. Although, it worked to rid me of most of my redness, etc. The tech who did it did not protect my eyes. Two months after my last treatment I developed severe, nerve pain in my eyes and I spend most of my days in extreme pain. I have no idea if the IPL somehow led to this nerve pain but it came on suddenly and the IPL was the only thing I did that was different. I still have my rosacea (though I'm much less red) and I also have mgd, ocular rosacea and SEVERE dry eye

Unknown said...

I have been working with IPL for MGD in rosacea and non rosacea patients for six years with incredible success. One thing to keep in mind is that IPL technology has progressed over the years. So a person talking about their experience a year ago or further may have had a older generation IPL technology. You need to go to someone that it is trained to do the procedure. I have begun teaching surgeons how to do IPL for MGD. In the near future you may have a surgeon near you who can treat you.
Rolando Toyos, MD Memphis, Tenn, Los Angeles, Ca

judy said...

Rolando--I read your comment about IPL and note that you are from Tennessee. Close enough for me to drive, can you give me information about where you are or how I can contact the clinic you use?