Monday, December 15, 2008

Abstract: Azasite vs. Erythromycin ointment

Sounds nice (if uninformative). I don't really know what to make of Azasite for bleph at this point. I've heard all kinds of views from reputable doctors, ranging from considering it a wonderdrug to reserving judgment to dismissing it as pure marketing ploy.

Use of azithromycin ophthalmic solution in the treatment of chronic mixed anterior blepharitis
Ann Ophthalmol (Skokie). 2008 Summer;40(2):68-74
John T, Shah AA.

We tested the efficacy of azithromycin ophthalmic solution for the treatment of chronic mixed anterior blepharitis. The findings suggest that patients with chronic mixed anterior blepharitis can be more effectively treated with azithromycin ophthalmic solution than erythromycin ophthalmic ointment. Patients treated with azithromycin ophthalmic solution show an extraordinary clinical response with shorter treatment duration.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meh, I am of the group that feels it is truly a miracle drug.

I am not sure of the intentions of the abstract though.

Quicker- what do they mean?

Because 3 to 4 days after you stop treatment with azasite blepharitis goes back to normal.

The wording seemed a bit weird... would erth. ointment actually last longer? of course not..

So the question for the patients is, how long can it be safely used. Is pulse necissary like it is for posterior blepharitis?

Susie said...

This drug cause me to have cornea erosion, severe dry eye , nerve damage, severe pain, and now blurred vision. I have been to 5 Drs, as soon as they find out it is drug related they're done with me accept for eye drops which do NO GOOD. The reaction I had is one that only happens in > 1% in the clinical trail and the Company, Inspire admits it can cause the problem, but will not call me back with what was done to help the > 1% that got the damage in the trail and Drs are afraid to treat me and will not admit that it is drug related even when I try to show them the trial report. I need help and can get it anywhere and I'm afraid that ai will have permnent damage if someone doesn't help me soon.